Lots of stories depend on crunching combat, thrilling chases or brutal warfare. But how do you go about delivering great action scenes? This workshop will explore how to truly bring your action to life, including a look at description, verb choices, perspective, tense and more, and how they can all have an impact on the action elements of your work.
- Explore how action can impact the pace of a story
- Look at the process of escalation and how to build action scenes from one to the next
- Cover how perspective and tense can affect the way that action comes across in stories
- Investigate how description can be built into action scenes without slowing down the pace
- Look at how verb choices play into great action scenes
About Alex Davies
Alex Davis is a writer, lecturer, tutor and events organiser based in Derby. As a tutor, he has run over 30 courses and a wide range of individual writing workshops around the East Midlands, as well as a spell as Associate Lecturer at the University of Derby. As an event organiser, he coordinates the annual genre fiction festivals Edge-Lit and Sledge-Lit in his capacity as Literature Officer for Derby's QUAD venue. He also copy-edits and proofreads for a range of mainstream and independent presses.