Sign up for our weekly newsletter
NTU Sustainability in Enterprise

The Royal Visit in Photos

9 April 07 words: Dom Henry
Gawd bless her Royal 'ighness! who officially opened our shiny new square the other day



click the image for a full gallery

Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, was in town on Tuesday April 5th to officially open the Market Square. The princess visited the city to unveil a plaque commemorating the occasion before attending a special tea dance at the Council House.

Sources close to the Princess confirm she was in fact looking forward to a swift gin in the Bell Inn after pulling the fancy cords. Alas, no such luck. Despite requests to visit the historic hostelry for a nice sit down and a chat, about big dogs over a Gordons, the Princess was hustled away by minders.

The event marked the end of two weeks celebrating completion of the renovation, and was attended by some local pensioners who were were there in 1929 when the Prince of Wales opened the square.

The Princess Royal was invited to plant the final flowers in the Old Market Square and also opened the University of Nottingham's new veterinary school at its Sutton Bonington campus during her visit to the area.

Photos courtesy of Pete Cranston (c) click here for a full gallery

 

We have a favour to ask…

LeftLion is Nottingham’s meeting point for information about what’s going on in our city, from the established organisations to the grassroots. We want to keep what we do free to all to access, but increasingly we are relying on revenue from our readers to continue. Can you spare a few quid each month to support us?

Support LeftLion now